Sustainability at BASF
As the world’s leading chemical company, BASF combines the three pillars of sustainability - economic success, environmental protection and social responsibility. This is summed up in our corporate purpose: “We create chemistry for a sustainable future.”
BASF is passionate about research and new ideas that form the starting point for developing the products and solutions by which we help to meet the current and future needs of society worldwide. Acting sustaina-bly is of utmost importance to ensure our long-term business success.
BASF aims to use natural resources as sparingly as possible. We support our customers in balancing envi-ronmental, social and economic interests. For this, we use independently proven scientific methods such as the Eco-Efficiency Analysis and Sustainable Solution Steering.
BASF is working every day to minimize risks to our employees, the environment and our customers. We base our efforts on globally uniform standards for the environment, safety, health protection, product stew-ardship and compliance, as well as for labour and social standards. Openness, and a constant exchange with colleagues, customers, suppliers and shareholders, as well as experts from science, economy and the media, are particularly important to us.
SUSTAINABILITY RATINGS AND RANKINGS
The inclusion in sustainability indices and rankings is a confirmation of our excellent performance concern-ing environmental, social and governance issues. Rating agencies have particularly highlighted our integrat-ed sustainability reporting, business ethics and the development of sustainable products. For example:
|BASF has been listed in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for 17 consecutive years|||
|BASF received the German Sustainability Award for resource efficiency in 2015|||
|BASF has been listed in the FTSE4Good Index Series since its launch in 2001|||
|Oekom Research AG has rated BASF in the category Prime. Prime Status is awarded to leaders in the respective industry that succeeded in the rating process according to industry-specific criteria in terms of social and envi-ronmental compatibility|||
|BASF has participated in CDP’s climate change program since 2004 and has published information on opportunities and risks for the company re-lated to climate change and the use of water via the respective CDP pro-grams. CDP represents more than 820 institutional investors who manage approximately US$100 trillion in assets|||
BASF CONSTRUCTION CHEMICALS
BASF Construction Chemicals is committed to sustainable development, economic competitiveness and leading environmental, health and safety (EHS) performance. We act responsibly as an integral part of society; we adhere to regulations and compliance standards and never compromise on safety.
- Product Stewardship: We evaluate our products and raw materials and promote their safe and environmentally sound development, manufacture, transport, use and disposal.
- Transport and Distribution Safety: We control the risks in the transportation and storage of our raw materials and products.
- Occupational Health and Safety: We protect the health and safety of employees, visitors, contractors and neighbouring communities by assessing hazards/risks and by operating a management system to control those hazzards/risks.
- Process Safety: We design, operate and maintain our plants for safe operation and for the prevention of fires, explosions, accidental releases and other hazards to people, the environment and surrounding locations.
- Environmental Protection: We protect the environment by monitoring waste production and emissions to air and water and by seeking ways to reduce waste and the environmental impact of its emissions.
- Communication: We value open and factual dialog on Responsible Care as a means to build partnerships with customers, employees and, where appropriate, neighbouring communities.
- Security: We plan and act to protect people, property, products, processes, information protection and information systems by enhancing security against all types of internal and external crime, sabotage and terrorism.
- Energy: We monitor the use of energy in our business activities and take steps to improve energy efficiency.
SUSTAINABLE SOLUTIONS FROM BASF CONSTRUCTION CHEMICALS
BASF Construction Chemicals takes a holistic approach to helping our customers construct high-performance stuctures with increased commercial, environmental and social value. We offer a wide range of eco-efficient solutions. For example:
- MasterTop flooring systems: Systems from our MasterTop polyurethane resin flooring range are now A+ listed for different specifications in the Building Research Establishment (BRE)’s Green Guide, which gives designers and specifiers guidance on the best environmental choices when selecting construction materials and components. Read More...
- Life Cycle Analyzer: BASF’s Life Cycle Analyzer, is an initiative and pioneering assessment tool that quantifies the environmental impact of specific concretes, giving ready-mix and precast concrete producers transparency regarding sustainability and the opportunity to optimize mix designs at the planning stage for environmental gain and cost savings. The tool provides a valid information base for marketing Green Concrete and produces data that is then used to generate Environmental Product Declarations (EPD). Read More...
- MasterProtect 8000 CI corrosion inhibitor: MasterProtect 8000 CI dramatically reduces chloride induced corrosion of concrete steel reinforcement and in carbonated reinforced concrete resulting in a longer service life, cost/waste reductions - where the complete removal of damaged concrete was no longer necessary - and reduced downtimes due to fast and easy spraying application for a quick return to service. Read More...
- Master X-Seed advanced concrete hardening accelerator: Master X-Seed increases the hardening pro-cess of concrete which leads to shortened demolding times, increased productivity and lower energy demands. As high early strength is achieved at low ambient and heat curing temperatures, Master X-Seed reduces the need for energy intensive supplementary heating of the moulds. Master X-Seed also reduces the CO2 footprint of concrete through cement and supplementary cementitious material optimization. Read More...
- MasterSuna SBS admixture for controlling clay contaminated fine aggregates: MasterSuna SBS ena-bles fine aggregates containing swelling clay, which were often regarded as unsuitable, to be used in the production of high-quality concrete. This in turn enables concrete producers to significantly reduce their costs by omitting the need to secure additional suitable fine aggregates from remote sources thereby reducing traffic movements and CO2 emissions. Read More...
- MasterTop 1327-20dB noise deadening flooring system: The polyurethane flooring system reduces impact sound while offering numerous sustainable benefits: low material consumption, high durability, and lower life cycle costs. MasterTop 1327-20dB is the first and only noise-reducing flooring system with solely liquid components that reduces impact sound by 20 decibels. The product is extremely durable with an expected service life of up to 50 years, has low material consumption and easy maintenance re-sulting in significantly lower life cycle costs. Read More...